The Manager, French Language Services is a member of the marketing communications department and leads Imagine Canada’s French-language communications needs. The role works closely with other departments and a broad range of individuals throughout the organization.
The Manager, French Language Services is responsible for ensuring the overall quality and consistency of French-language communications. Your understanding of Quebec French-language style, usage and terminology helps to strengthen Imagine Canada’s relationship with Quebec’s charitable sector.
You are an individual who works at a steady pace and produces consistent high quality translations while maintaining established standards, guidelines and procedures. You are able to work independently and be an organization resource by providing support and guidance to others.
Reporting to the Director, Marketing and Communications, the Manager, French Language Services duties include:
Translation, English to French (75%)
- Translating, editing and proofreading a variety of marketing communications and program materials including, but not limited to, blog articles, e-newsletters, social media content, website content, research reports and charts, policy briefs, media releases, application/order forms, etc.
- Occasional French to English translations.
Management and Support (25%)
- Management and maintenance of French-language translation infrastructure systems including the submission/workflow system and translation software.
- Ensure Imagine Canada’s brand, voice and tone are well-represented to our French-language market segments and stakeholders.
- Advise organization staff on language issues and create and manage supporting French-language style, usage and terminology guides.
- Work with the marketing communications team and program staff to determine which initiatives and programs could most benefit from French-language marketing materials and participate in implementation activities.
- Identify external translators who can be available for overflow as needed.
- Coordinate, manage and support external translators to ensure quality and consistency of work.
- Provide occasional support to French-language customer service and media relations, including telephone and email inquiries.
- Other related duties as required.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent post-secondary education in translation and communications studies.
- Experience translating from English to French (minimum 2 to 4 years).
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English and French.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Development and project management skills.
- Accreditation with Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario (ATIO), Ordre des traducteurs, terminologues et interprètes agréés du Québec (OTTIAQ) or another relevant accreditation body is preferred.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Working knowledge of translation software such as SDL Trados as well as Microsoft Office.
- Understanding of the environment in which Canadian charities and nonprofits operate and appreciation of the diverse nature of Canada’s charitable and nonprofit sector.
- Some familiarity with marketing communications principles.
- A good sense of humour couldn’t hurt!
Terms & Conditions
- Terms of Employment: Full-time (35 hrs/week)
- Location flexible: Either on-site at Imagine Canada’s Toronto office or remotely from a home office based in Canada.
- Deadline for Applications: 10:00 a.m. EDT on Wednesday, May 31, 2017
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com using the subject line, “Manager, French Language Services”. No phone calls, please. We thank all interested applicants; however, only those candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted.